Saturday, April 4, 2015

The Fireflies Have Returned

One of the things I love about spring is the return of the fireflies. I feel like a little kid when I see flashes of light in the yard at night. It's like they weren't there and boom, there they are. I imagine them as little insects carrying little generators on their backs lighting the way for others, maybe night lights for the new babies hatching and birthing this time of year. So much fun.
A few years ago we had a West Nile scare in the area and the county started a mosquito spray...Up and down everyone's street and drive to control the disease carrying mosquitos. After spraying I noticed less fireflies...not to mention the bees and butterflies. We decided not to allow spraying here anymore, at least not at my house, and fortunately, the fireflies recovered. Still working on the others. I've gone back to swatting so I can enjoy the show.

Well, enjoy the early days of spring and the little flashes of light in the evening. 
No, I didn't take this shot...the  incredibly talented Tsuneaki Hiramatsu did for Smithsonian Magazine.  Beautiful!


Post by Eileen Patterson....GoofingOff.
Happy Pesach and Happy Easter!

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear the fireflies have returned. It has been so long since I've seen fireflies, I was afraid they had become extinct.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are not extinct but not plentiful. Bees aren't plentiful, either. We rely on butterflies to pollinate our flowers and blossoms...and a little brush. The butterflies try but they are not as efficient as bees.
      The sad part is we still have lots of mosquitoes with all the spraying.

      Delete