Friday, September 6, 2013

The Mouse Who Couldn't Cross the Street

No, this isn't a "why did the chicken cross the street" joke. This is a real true story of a little mouse who couldn't make it across the street.
Today, while waiting for the light to change at a busy intersection, I noticed something brown in the street ahead of me. At first I thought it was a leaf but then I noticed it going in a circle, directing its own movement, not a leaf carried by a wind gust. It was a mouse. Now anyone who knows me knows I don't like mice (or too many other rodents for that matter. I am the EEK, It's a mouse person). Despite my dislike of mice, I found myself cheering it on, hoping it would make it across. For a second I thought "It's a mouse. What are you doing?" but then I also thought "it's not in my house so no problem….(good thing because I would be on the table screaming my fool head off). I also thought how often do we root for the underdog…like Rocky,  winning against all odds.  Like no matter who's playing football I hope the losing team comes from behind and puts up a good fight.
Well, the poor little rodent didn't make it but he gave it a good try. He made it across 4 lanes before a truck stopped his journey (told you it was a busy intersection…it's big, too).
I guess I am in a philosophical mood…..Keep trying….don't think about the mouse….Or me on the table screaming, either.

Post by Eileen Patterson….who's always GoofingOff.

No comments:

Post a Comment