Sunday, October 24, 2010

Making Your Own Scrubs

When I first became a nurse I was required to wear white. Everything was white from the cap on my head to the shoes on my feet and everything in between. I hated it. I looked like everyone else, not to mention the white stains from Mylanta. Every uniform had short sleeves (my arms were cold in the winter), the pockets not where I wanted them, and the tops just weren't my style were my main complaints. Besides, uniforms cost too much for a new nurse with a family to support. Finding uniform patterns was difficult so I adapted patterns that I liked to remake as uniforms. Finally my arms were warm and my uniforms were mine. That worked for quite a while, that is, until I started working in critical care. I was issued scrub dresses, thin, flimsy dresses that had been washed a few thousand times. Once again I looked like everyone else. When the hospital's rules for dress changed I rejoiced. I could wear whatever color scrubs I liked. I didn't have to wear dresses and I didn't have to look like everyone else. Fast forward another 20 years to today. Scrubs come in every color imaginable yet the styles are restricted to a few. Finding patterns to make something that looks different is as hard today as it was 30 years ago when I first became a nurse. The challenge is to take a pattern, modern or vintage, and make a scrub top that looks good, feels comfortable (12 hours is a long time to be uncomfortable), and suits the needs of the nurse. The best pattern for use as a scrub top should have short or long sleeves. The sleeves shouldn't be too loose or wide but still allow for movement. The top should be hip length and not form-fitting. Form-fitted tops restrict movement and don't allow for full pockets. Nurses need pockets. We carry pens, scissors, hemostats, beepers, phones, and alcohol pads in our pockets so we need pockets. Still, a pattern that lacks pockets but meets all the other criteria shouldn't be counted out. Pockets can be added to a pattern. Here are a few patterns that could be adapted for scrub top use. The D variation could work well as a scrub. Just the right length, short sleeves, and loose enough to allow for movement. Add patch pockets in the front along the bottom and Voila! A scrub top is born. At least three variations would work great for a scrub top. Perfect length, loose enough for comfort, just needs pockets. Plus Sized, too. This one is a little more involved. The top in View B is cute. It needs to be cut shorter so it comes to the top of the hip. Add a little embroidery or cotton lace for softness if you like. The pattern also comes with elastic pants. Beautiful. Wearing scrubs doesn't mean you have to lose your creativity or identity. Quite the contrary. Once you start sewing, you can be you.

No comments:

Post a Comment