Sunday, November 1, 2009

Winding Yarn

I found this Royal Yarn Winder in my travels and I started to think about yarn. I know so little about yarn. I used to knit and crochet but my knowledge of yarn was limited to what I found at Woolworth's. Nowadays, there are so many different yarns made of so many different materials. What I see at Michael's or JoAnne's is nothing compared to some of the incredible yarns available on Etsy. One seller, MishMashYarns, sells recycled yarns rescued from sweaters destined for the dump. The yarn is outrageously beautiful. Another seller, Lollyarn, pulls, cards, dyes, and spins the fibers by hand...from her own Angora rabbits. The colors of the yarns are scrumptious. Then, there is Liberty Fiber who creates hand dyed yarns, rovings, and wool yardage. The work is amazing! Who knew? Lollyarn's creation LibertyFiber's yarn

3 comments:

  1. Wow--Woolworth's that's a name I haven't heard in a long time. You should pick it up again. There are some great youtube videos to show the basics and one book that is really great called "Encylopedia of Crochet" by Donna Kooler.
    Have fun
    leslie
    lollyarn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the lovely compliment for my hand dyed yarn! Since I was very small I have been fascinated by color. Creating hand dyed yarn is very personal and very rewarding when I inspire someone the knit or create with yarn I have dyed.

    Yarn has certainly come a long way in the past several years. I had the pleasure of owning a retail yarn shop before moving 3 years ago. I love yarn and the versatility of what can be knit, felted or woven with yarn. If you are interested keep exploring - knitters love to assist others who want to learn the craft.

    Thank you for the honorable mention!

    Judy
    Liberty Fibers

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a precious blog! I love taking old things and turning them into something beautiful. Addicted to yarn, old sweaters became the only way I could support my bad habit. :) Back in graduate school, recycling yarn became my escape and way to keep my sanity!

    Thank you for the mention...may your hands and work continue to be blessed and make a difference!

    Michelle
    MishMashYarns

    ReplyDelete