Thursday, August 27, 2009

Team EtsyChai and Judaica

I guess it had to happen. I finally filled my home with so much yard sale finds that I had to take a break. Taking a break to me means finding something else to do since I never could keep still. Creating is just my nature. As a member of Team EtsyChai, I always felt sort of lame since I usually don't do much in the way of Judaica,that is, until now. I make these absorbent, thirsty stone coasters and thought "What if I write some sort of Hebrew phrase on them? That would be Judaica!" From that humble beginning, the Shalom stone coasters was born. I do other coasters of the local wildlife, too, but this is my first venture into Judaica. EtsyChai is a great team. It is the Etsy Jewish Street team. We have members representing all types of arts and crafts. It is inspiring, and for a person living far from my peeps, it gives me the sense of belonging I needed. Here are some things from some of the members.

2 comments:

  1. Your work is beautiful. I always have the opposite feeling. I'm not sure how to answer when people ask me why a lot of my artwork is Judaic themed when I am not Jewish! I think the themes, motifs, symbols, and sentiments of Judaism are rich with potential for artistic expression.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your kind comments. Your work is so lovely. I have lived away from the Jewish community almost all of my life. Tying Judaism to art is foreign to me, except the food. I got that down pat. LOL

    ReplyDelete