Saturday, June 25, 2011

Cerena Leigh:

The winner of Miss Eileen’s Etsy Picks for 6.3.11, Leaving on a Jet Plane was Cerena Leigh, the creator of the Silver Camera, Heart, Eiffel Tower, Airplane Charm Bracelet. Here is her inspiring interview.

Silver Camera, Heart, Plane, Eiffel Tower Filigree Charm Bracelet

Silver Camera, Heart, Eiffel Tower, Airplane Charm Bracelet

Tell us a bit about yourself (name, location, affiliations, personal stuff)

My name is Cerena Leigh and I’m a 21 yr old New Yorker. I live in a small suburb right outside of New York City. I’m a journalism major who collects antique cameras. A night spent in with my boyfriend of five years and Chihuahuas is just as exciting for me as going out to the city to party. I’m a total book worm. I admit it! One of my hidden talents is being able to recite the entire first 5 pages of The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton.
Last year, I ended up in the hospital for two months. I’m still recovering from that and can’t work. To help make money, I started my Etsy shop. It started small and now and I’m one sale away from my 100th sale! I still can’t believe that! It went from being a small way to make money to something I truly love doing.
Tree of Life Silver and Turquoise Canteen Pendant Necklace (Last One)    Tree of Life Silver and Turquoise Canteen Pendant

What are your favorite materials?
I love working with stones. Putting items like rose quartz on a heart bracelet to help attract love or onyx to repel negative energy give a really amazing meaning to the pieces of jewelry I make.


What is your favorite color combination?
Black and hot pink even though my favorite color has and will always be purple.


What is the first thing you can remember making by hand? How and why did you make it?
I always loved making those little popsicle stick houses in arts and crafts. I would make the tallest and coolest looking pieces with them when I was little. My mom kept every single one! There are tons!

Romatic Cameo Pendant Necklace and Filigree Silver Heart Charm          

Romantic Cameo Pendant Necklace and Filigree Silver Heart Charm

What inspires you?
Music. There’s nothing like the feeling when your favorite song is playing and you can feel the beat going through you. When I have a creative block, I’ll put on my IPod and have no trouble being inspired.


Where do your ideas come from?
I have no idea!


Antique Silver Angel Wing Earrings                                       Antique Silver Angel Wing Earrings

Who is, or was, your greatest inspiration?
My best friend, Grace. She passed away from Hodgkin’s Lymphoma in 2007. I spent every weekend with her in the ICU and when she was out of the hospitals. We would be together having sleepovers all the time. We were both only children in our families, so we became like each other’s sister. Her life ended at the age of 17, just when life really begins. I live every day to the fullest not just for me, but for her. She will always be my greatest inspiration.


What is your favorite thing to do with your creativity?
Writing. Ever since I was little, I’ve been writing stories. I seriously have enough journals and books to fill any library! Writing poems, short stories, journal entries, etc.. has always come naturally to me. It’s by far my favorite outlet of creativity (other than making jewelry!).


Black and Golden Rose Dangle Earrings

Black and Golden Rose Dangle Earrings

Why should people buy handmade? Any tips of wisdom on selling handmade items?
It’s like having spaghetti with your Italian grandmother’s secret family sauce versus sauce from a can. Overly processed and manufactured items are all over the world. Handmade items are just that- hand made. Someone took the time to carefully craft every single one. It’s an amazing labor of love!

Antique Cameo and Pearl Filigree Brass Bracelet   

   Antique Cameo and Pearl Filigree Brass Bracelet 

What have been the most valuable lessons learned from other artists?
A little personal touch really keeps customers coming back. I write a thank you note and include a special handmade gift in all my orders and I always smile when customers tell me how much they appreciated that little extra touch.

Good Fortune Oriental Fan Bracelet with Japenese Lantern in Silver   Good Fortune Oriental Fan Bracelet


Apart from creating things, what do you do?
I bake cupcakes like it’s my job. When I’m not doing that, I’m usually bottle feeding my four week old kitten, Luna. She takes up a ton of my time! I also have another cat and two rescued Chihuahuas that require a ton of love. Other than that, my Nikon is by my side at all times and I’m a student majoring in journalism. I also spend any free time reading and playing video games (how nerdy do I sound? ).


Silver Heart Cell Phone Charm and/or Zipper Pull

Silver Heart Cell Phone and/or Zipper Pull

What are the Web addresses for your work?
www.etsy.com/shop/cerenaleigh
cerenaleigh.tumblr.com/
cerenaleigh.deviantart.com/

Thank you, Cerena, for your inspiring interview. May you have much success.

No comments:

Post a Comment